At the beginning of this Month, I told you that I would be participating in A Writer’s March. It has been going well so far. I have set myself the goal of writing for one hour a day, which, surprisingly, I’ve met. One way that I’ve been meeting this goal is that I will do a writing exercise to generate a first draft. I then put the first draft away; when the month is over I’ll start revising these exercises.
I’m also revising my poetry manuscript. This is the largest revision I’ve made to the manuscript since I graduated. I’ve removed poems, added poems, rearranged whole sections. I have the suspicion that it’s turning into a completely new beast. This type of large-scale revision is often frustrating, because I’m usually just standing over a section of poems that I’ve spread out across the table and thinking. I may move a page, but then I have to reread not just that poem but the poems before it and after it to see how they work together. I’ve reread my poems so many times that I’ve become convinced I only just write the same three poems over and over. However, I seem to be slowly uncovering the book that these poems want to be. I’m keeping my fingers crossed.
Another way that I am participating in A Writers March is that I’ve written a guest blog post, where I discuss traditional forms and revision, and I use Victorian underwear to make a point. You should check it out along with the other posts. I’ve been using much of the advice found here in my own writing.
Also, I should have mentioned this earlier, I was interviewed by Miss E over at Looking for Pemberley—you can read that here. I’ve always found Miss E insightful, you should check out the rest of her blog as well.